ESOL - Cross-Cultural Communication
Gain awareness of various cultures to promote intercultural communication and enhance instruction and learning for diverse populations. Learn about cultural orientations of various groups and use your knowledge to enhance instruction for ELLs and other students.
(60 credit hours)
If this is your first Beacon online course, click Course Tour from menu bar on the My Courses page. This module is designed to assist you in navigating Beacon’s online courses and becoming familiar with the different features found within a course.
- ESOL Objectives
- Understand and apply knowledge about cultural values and beliefs in the context of teaching and learning of ELLs from diverse backgrounds and at varying English proficiency levels.
- Understand and apply knowledge of concepts of cultural competence, particularly knowledge about how cultural identities affect learning and academic progress for students from diverse backgrounds and at varying English proficiency levels.
- Use a range of resources in learning about the cultural experiences of ELLs and their families to guide curriculum development and instruction.
- Understand and apply knowledge about the effects of racism, stereotyping, and discrimination in teaching and learning of ELLs from diverse backgrounds and at varying English proficiency levels.
- Understand and apply knowledge about home/school connections to build partnerships with ELLs’ families (e.g., Parent Leadership Councils (PLC).
- Understand and apply knowledge about concepts related to the interrelationship between language and culture for students from diverse backgrounds and at varying English proficiency levels.
Continuing Education Units / Inservice Points
The number of credit hours listed for this course corresponds to the approximate time it takes a participant to complete the course. This information provides guidance to professional development agencies for the purpose of determining course credit.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs) or inservice points are typically awarded by the sponsoring school district. Participants should verify acceptance of online course credit with their local districts' professional development administrators.
Upon fulfillment of all requirements, your Beacon Educator transcript will reflect completion of this course. The transcript and syllabus may be printed and given to the appropriate district contact.
Click this link for additional information about BeaconEducator Course Credit.
In order to complete this course, participants must submit the following documentation. These exercises, accessible through the Course Log, must meet the established criteria.
- Reflection/Dialogue Exercises (9) – Participants reflect on course content, strategy implementation, and their personal learning experiences.
- Multiple Choice Quiz Exercise (1) - Participants' factual learning is tested and reinforced.